Are you a leader? Your answers to these twelve questions will tell you if you are a real leader, or just a follower who can take charge every now and then.
Michael Hyatt posted an article called “12 Ways to Know if You are a Leader” on his blog the other day. I thought this list was fantastic, and tweaked it a bit to put it in question form.
1. Do you long to make a difference?
2. Are you discontent and dissatisfied with the status quo?
3. Do you not wait on a bigger staff or more resources to accomplish your vision?
4. Are your dreams so big they seem impossible?
5. Do you acknowledge what is but inevitably ask, “What could be?”
6. Do you realize that you don’t have to be in charge to have significant influence?
7. Do you refuse to blame others for your circumstances and take responsibility for finding solutions?
8. Do you foster unity by bringing people together and encouraging dialogue?
9. Are you quick to say, “I messed up. Here’s what I am going to do to fix the problem I created”?
10. Do you value relationships more than tasks?
11. Do you walk your talk—not perfectly but sincerely and intentionally?
12. Are you a learner? Do you read, listen to podcasts, attend conferences, and ask other leaders lots of questions?